Garages are a handy addition to any home. They’re a great place to store tools, home projects, or even additional leisure space. But, it’s important that you and your family are aware of how to stay safe around garages and garage doors, because they do pose a potential for danger.
Check out these 8 safety tips from the International Door Association:
- Make sure to consult the owner’s manual in order to learn how to use the garage’s door’s emergency release feature.
- Keep the garage door opener out of reach from small children, and don’t allow them to play with the garage door remote controls.
- If you have a sectional garage door, never place your fingers in between the door panels. Additionally, explain to children the potential danger to children.
- Never leave the garage door partially open. When activated, you will be unable to predict which direction it will travel in.
- If your garage door opener does not contain the latest rolling-code technology, which automatically changes the access codes on a regular basis, be sure to modify the access code manually, so that it doesn’t utilize the standard manufacturers code. Or, Consider investing in newer model that provides increased security features.
- While away from the home for long periods of time, unplug the garage door opener, or use the vacation lock console security switch often found on newer garage doors.
- Make sure to thoroughly inspect your garage door at least once a month. Look at the key components for any signs of wear, such as the springs, cables, rollers, and pulleys. Do not attempt to repair or replace any damaged parts without the assistance of a professional garage door repair technician.
- While inspecting your garage door, make sure to test the automatic reversing mechanism. You can do this by placing a soft object, such as a rolled-up towel in the doors path. If the door does not automatically reverse after making contact with the object, contact a professional garage door repair service immediately.
If you are experiencing any issues with your garage door you need the Metro Detroit garage door repair and installation experts at Town & Country Door, LLC. Contact us today for your free quote!